After upgrading to Vista SP1, I ran in to some problems between my computer and my Fedora Core 6 Samba 3.0.24 server.  I have my Wordpress software directory mounted from the Linux server to my Vista SP1 computer to make adding plug-ins easy.  All I do is copy the new plug-in from my computer to the Wordpress share and it is added.  This worked fine until a few days ago when I suddenly started to get “access denied” when copying the files.  I concluded the problem was the fault of Vista SP1 after the following troubleshooting:

  • No changes had been made to the Samba configuration for quite some time.
  • All file permissions on the Samba server were correct.
  • Mac OS X Leopard was functioning correctly with no changes required.
  • Windows XP SP2 was functioning correctly with no changes required.

After checking the latest version of Samba (3.0.28a at this time), it mentioned that it corrects “interoperability issues” with Vista SP1.  To correct these issues, follow these steps:

Download the Samba 3.0.28a source RPM for Fedora Core 8
Install it: rpm -ivh samba-3.0.28a-0.fc8.src.rpm
Build it: rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/samba.spec
If you get warnings about dependencies, either download the dependent packages through yum (yum install …) or use the –nodeps option with rpmbuild.
Watch some Battlestar Galatica while the package builds…
Install it: rpm -Fvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/samba*
This will update only the RPMs that are already installed.

Test the new installation and your Vista SP1 problems should disappear!

Related posts:

  1. Mac OS X 10.5.x and Windows 2008 Clustered File Share Problems After upgrading a Windows Server 2003 clustered file server to...
  2. More Upgrading! I migrated my physical Windows Server 2003 from native to...
  3. Howto: Install Custom Firmware on a PSP Slim – Step 1 Introduction Step 1: Creating a bootable memory stick Step 2:...
  4. ESXi: Take two I played around with VMWare ESXi some more this evening...
  5. Migrating Mozilla Firefox 3 bookmarks to a new computer One slight pain about getting a new computer is having...

3 Responses to “Samba compatibility issues with Vista SP1”
  1. Julie says:

    I’m not sure,but I am willing to guess that Len is one smart cookie!

  2. Mark says:

    After updated to Vista SP1 (thanks again btw) I haven’t had any Samba problems with either of my Fedora Core boxes. I’m running FC3 and FC4 with Samaba 3.0.10 on both. Maybe it’s only Samba 3.0.2X versions that have a problem.

  3. Len says:

    Hi Mark,
    It could quite possibly be a problem only affecting samba 3.0.2x versions. It may also be because my “security = ads” in smb.conf which isn’t quite the norm. It’s unfortunate that the Samba changelog didn’t go in to more detail then only listing “interoperability issues” being correcting. Perhaps they were issues relating to active directory authentication with Vista SP1 clients.